This beginning quilting class will explore many piecing techniques. You will learn from ground zero how to cut, sew & press each block. We will also talk about products & how they affect the finished quilt. So use the good stuff! Good thread, good fabric, good tools, good skills make for a beautiful finish! Each block will build to create a wall hanging or baby quilt or small lap quilt when finished. You will have a quilt top at the end of class using 3 different piecing techniques and machine applique techniques.
Most of all we are going to have fun quilting and making new friends!
Supply List for Class 1
- 5-6 different ½ yd. pieces of 100% cotton fabric you love that work together. One larger print, one med. Print & one small print in colors that somewhat contrast, one that reads as a solid. These fabrics will be the beginning of your quilt, you will need more fabric for the rest of the classes. (Call Susan for help if you are confused) If you like more contemporary quilts choose solids and a couple prints.
- Olfa Rotary Cutter & Self-healing Matt
- Creative Grids Ruler (6” x 24”)
- Mettler 50 wt. Silk Finish Cotton Thread in taupe, beige or light gray, not white.
- Glass head silk pins
- Scissors, seam ripper, etc. Basic sewing kit.
- Sewing machine with zig-zag capabilities. ¼” Presser foot (Bernina #37 or #97))
- Later Supplies: You will need more fabric as the class goes on. You will also need an appliqué foot (Bernina #20). Applique threads & Applique Pressing Sheet & Wonder-Under, Soft Fuse or Soft Web for class. And tear away stabilizer. Bias Square ruler for Triangle class. Information will be given in each class for the next class. Instruction handouts will be given in each class.
- This quilt will be a small wall hanging or baby size when finished. If you wanted to make several baby quilts from each pattern you could.
- Class #1: Four-Patch
- Class #2: Log Cabin
- Class #3: Triangles/Pinwheel
- Class #4: Machine Applique
- It is recommended you finish the top & take the complete “All About Machine Quilting” class and Binding with Confidence class at the next available date.
Questions about supplies or the class contact Susan Edmonson: email: firstname.lastname@example.org